Skip to main content

Success with Portland city services.

I would like to take a minute to mention that I have had a few very good successes with some services that the City of Portland provides.

If you see a traffic hazard that the city can fix - you can report it by calling (503)823-SAFE. The city has been real good about responding. They fixed the problem I reported in under three days! But there has to be a legitimate problem. You call, leave your name and information and a description of the problem on their answering system. If they need more info they will contact you. Once again, that number is (503)823-SAFE (503)823-7233.

If you have a parking concern. Such as cars parked across a sidewalk, bike lane, or a driveway - you can call parking enforcement. (503)823-5195. I even called them after hours and left a message and there was a response!

If you see Graffiti anywhere in Portland, you can report it to the Graffiti Abatement office. Usually it will be removed promptly... I have had good results with them as well.

Again, these services work and are a great thing for the city. But like anything else, if they are abused they become less worthwhile. Please only use them if you have legitimate concerns.


Popular posts from this blog

Wolf River Greenway - my thoughts

Out in east Memphis and northwest Germantown they have some greenway bike+ped paths along the Wolf River, called the Wolf River Greenway.  It is pretty nice, and I have ridden my bicycle along it's entirety.  It is still somewhat in two main sections, the Memphis section in the west and the Germantown section in the east.   The ultimate plans are to have them all linked together and connected to some other areas as well, although those plans seem like they might be a while to completion (if ever).

My thoughts on the Wolf River Greenway are mixed.


We had been looking at RVs for a long time, focusing mostly on class B versions.  Class B RVs are on van chassis and stay within the van footprint, as a result the Class B RVs are very manageable compared to their larger siblings.  Most Class B can be driven in cities, parked in normal spots, and genarraly fit into tighter situations than you would ever consider for a much larger Class A or Class C (when most people think of RVs they are usually envisioning Class A or C).
We decided on a 2017 Winnebago Travato.  We chose the 59g floorplan and waited for the 2017 1/2 models to come out with their few nice mid-year improvements.

Continued after the jump!

Memphis corrugated recycling failure

All right, maybe not a "failure"  - more like a deficiency.  However sensationalist headlines draw in more readers, and since you may be my only one - I need all the help I can get.

Memphis seems to have OK recycling programs for a city in this region, although still not that great in general.  One thing that I found frustrating is the requirement to cut down corrugated.