Skip to main content

Why I think we can't be saved.

This morning I was walking by Starbucks in Portland on MLK next to the Burgerville and the Convention Center. I decided I would like a Tazo and a pastry, so I stopped.

The parking lot was completely empty, but the line in the "drive" through had at least 5 cars in it. As I walked through the empty parking lot to the door, I looked at the shiny new white Chevy Tahoe SUV - the last in line.

I went inside, decided I wanted one of their breakfast sandwiches instead of a pastry. They had to prepare it in their toaster thingy so it took a couple minutes. I paid, waited for the sandwich. They called my name, I took my sandwich and tea, and walked out the front door. The lady in the white Tahoe was not even up to the ordering microphone yet.

If $4.50 gas won't encourage a person in a 14mpg vehicle to turn off the engine and walk inside - then there is not much we can do to get people to change their habits.

I see this all the time walking downtown. A person will gun it to go 150 feet to the next stop light. What a wonderful use of all that fuel. I will often pass these people on my bicycle. They will gun it again at the next light, stop, and here I come pedaling along beside them again. The light goes green, they floor it, make it to the next light and chubby old me on my bike creeps up beside them again. They just don't get that they could save so much fuel every month by taking it easy...

Forget the drastic measures like giving up cars and living off hemp you grow in your back yard.... Lets just try not to waste so much for absurdly useless things. Like waiting in the drive up line, when walking in is faster. Like accelerating at top speed from every intersection. Like leaving your engine running when you are behind a train crossing or bridge lift.

I don't think people have yet associated their behavior with the consequences. Not quite yet. Until then, there is not much we can do to save ourselves.

Even if we invent a vehicle that runs on nothing but good intentions and emits only good will, our species will probably find some stupid way to waste somewhere else...

Comments

vitaanteacta said…
Another reason we can't be saved:
Those that HAVE to have their $4.00 latte from a place that consistently serves crrrappy coffee and sells mucho merchandise from China.
Ugh...you're right on about the Tahoe/SUV thing, but I cringed about Starbuck's.
ValkRaider said…
Hah! Too true... But the only real reason I went into Starbucks was because the Burgerville was closed for renovation...
Eliza said…
People are not going to try to conserve on gas until it truly pinches their pocket book. Some people are feeling the pinch but a large group of people are not. They can still afford it and don't mind paying even if they do complain.

Hey, over here in England I have to go to Starbucks to get a decent cup of coffee. These people drink tea.

Popular posts from this blog

Travato

We had been looking at RVs for a long time, focusing mostly on class B versions.  Class B RVs are on van chassis and stay within the van footprint, as a result the Class B RVs are very manageable compared to their larger siblings.  Most Class B can be driven in cities, parked in normal spots, and genarraly fit into tighter situations than you would ever consider for a much larger Class A or Class C (when most people think of RVs they are usually envisioning Class A or C).
We decided on a 2017 Winnebago Travato.  We chose the 59g floorplan and waited for the 2017 1/2 models to come out with their few nice mid-year improvements.



Continued after the jump!

iPhone iOS4 passcode lock workaround if you can't run iPhone config utility

In iOS 4 and 4.0.1, if you perform a "reset all settings" on your phone it can sometimes cause you to lose all your options in the "passcode lock" section of the phone settings, only leaving you with the "immediately" option.

This can be annoying as you will then have to enter your passcode immediately when your phone locks for any reason. I usually like mine set to a 15 minute delay so that I can use my phone frequently without typing in the passcode, but it still locks after a while.

This is a known bug, and should be fixed soon in an upcoming iOS version. Until then there are two workarounds.

Explorer

In October I bought a 2017 Triumph Tiger Explorer XRx.

So far I am enjoying this bike.  I have no connection whatsoever with Triumph other than I own a few of their motorcycles.  (Although if anyone from Triumph or wants to sponsor me I certainly wouldn't Turn them away.).

Here are pictures of my TEx out and about.

Northwest of Portland in the hills.


Lots more after the jump!