Skip to main content

BikePortland censors the word "jerks".

In a comment I made to BikePortland they censored the word "Jerks".

They censored three words I used. The first was "Asshat", which while I clearly don't think that to be a terrible word, I will at least give them the leeway to censor that on their own site.

However I am not sure what the problem was with the word "Jerks".

Here is the original text of my comment:
Too bad River City Bicycles is staffed by clueless asshats.
I went in there twice in the last couple years to buy some moderately expensive bike things (a couple at about $300 each). The first time they were jerks, I chalked it up to maybe a bad apple or someone having a bad day. Last week we tried again and they were jersks again. So we left and spent our money elsewhere…
Too bad too, I am in the market for a new Cannondale and they won’t get my business.
(Note, the second occurrence of "Jerks" contains a typo extra s, I understand that already - no need to comment and tell me.)

They replaced the "jerks" with **moderated** That seems a bit lame.

And as for what happened at River City bikes, well - it is not really that big of a deal. I just felt that the clerks gave clueless answers with lame excuses - and instead I chose to take my business elsewhere... The Bike Gallery guys were very nice and helpful, as they always have been = despite the fact that their model of the tag-a-long bike I was looking for would not fit my bike. I wish TREK made more models in the USA so that I could buy more stuff from Bike Gallery (I try to buy as locally made as possible. Portland, then Oregon, then Pacific Northwest, then USA - you get the idea).

Anyway - Kudos to BikePortland for excessive censorship.

Jonathon Maus, author of BikePortland later responded with this:
I do not have rigid rules for how I decide to moderate. In some cases “jerks” would be OK…but since you first called them something less appropriate I decided I did not like the tone in this situation.

And “BikePortland” is not some organization. It is one person (me). It is my business and I reserve the right to moderate any word at any time for any reason.
Yay Jonathon.

And since your readership is probably a hundred thousand times mine, as I am pretty sure that only myself and the friends I trick with TinyURL links ever read my blog - you probably have a much bigger "right" to reserve.

However, I find it a little absurd that you did not like the "tone" of me complaining about a Jerk working at River City.

Bah, whatever. In any event - it sheds a little light on what may or may not be edited at BikePortland if people disagree with Jonathon.

And no matter what you say, the staff at River City were, in my opinion, Asshats.

Comments

Kenny said…
That sounds like the reason why I quit GuitarGeek.com's GeekChat. I think I told you about this, but after a thread was raised that they should start berating people who use the term "gay" or "retarded" in the (you know what I mean) ways and I opposed it as censorship, the response I got was so appalling that I decided to delete all of my threads and posts (as many as I could) and abandon the site. I used to post there a lot, but I'm not going be part of something that uses member-imposed fascism just because someone is overly sensitive to calling a piece of gear "gay" or "retarded". It wasn't even in reference to calling a person gay or retarded.

Popular posts from this blog

Travato

We had been looking at RVs for a long time, focusing mostly on class B versions.  Class B RVs are on van chassis and stay within the van footprint, as a result the Class B RVs are very manageable compared to their larger siblings.  Most Class B can be driven in cities, parked in normal spots, and genarraly fit into tighter situations than you would ever consider for a much larger Class A or Class C (when most people think of RVs they are usually envisioning Class A or C).
We decided on a 2017 Winnebago Travato.  We chose the 59g floorplan and waited for the 2017 1/2 models to come out with their few nice mid-year improvements.



Continued after the jump!

iPhone iOS4 passcode lock workaround if you can't run iPhone config utility

In iOS 4 and 4.0.1, if you perform a "reset all settings" on your phone it can sometimes cause you to lose all your options in the "passcode lock" section of the phone settings, only leaving you with the "immediately" option.

This can be annoying as you will then have to enter your passcode immediately when your phone locks for any reason. I usually like mine set to a 15 minute delay so that I can use my phone frequently without typing in the passcode, but it still locks after a while.

This is a known bug, and should be fixed soon in an upcoming iOS version. Until then there are two workarounds.

Explorer

In October I bought a 2017 Triumph Tiger Explorer XRx.

So far I am enjoying this bike.  I have no connection whatsoever with Triumph other than I own a few of their motorcycles.  (Although if anyone from Triumph or wants to sponsor me I certainly wouldn't Turn them away.).

Here are pictures of my TEx out and about.

Northwest of Portland in the hills.


Lots more after the jump!